Monday, March 19, 2007

 

Night Time on the City of New Orleans at Arcata

Arlo Guthrie and his children and grandchildren are playing at the Van Duzer on April 17th at 8:00 p.m. as part of "The Guthrie Family Legacy Tour" - celebrating four generations of music. It's being described as a "multi-media concert."

It's of course a Center-Arts event. I used take advantage of their bulk rate ticket offerings in a remote lifetime prior to children. I'm thinking one of us might go with my son who's just about at the right age to appreciate the music.

The flier I happened on cites the All Music Guide as saying "(Arlo) is the best interpreter of his father's songs..." Probably true, but while I've always enjoyed Woodie Guthrie's work, I've never found it particularly deep or difficult to comprehend. But maybe I just haven't listened to the right lyrics.

Of course, red diaper (grand)babies like myself have always appreciated the irony that the Boy Scouts and other youth group campers often sing a song written by a fellow traveler. Of course, they never get to the "good stanzas." Well, I'm sure they did at Camp Wo Chi Ca (attended as children by my father-in-law and his childhood friend David Horowitz).

Photo is from Guthrie's website.

Comments:
This land is your land, This land is my land,
from California to the New York island;
From the redwood forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me.

As I was walking that ribbon of highway,
I saw above me that endless skyway:
I saw below me that golden valley:
This land was made for you and me.

I’ve roamed and rambled and I followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts;
And all around me a voice was sounding:
This land was made for you and me.

When the sun came shining, and I was strolling,
And the wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling,
As the fog was lifting a voice was chanting:
This land was made for you and me.

As I went walking, I saw a sign there,
And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side it didn’t say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
By the relief office I seen my people;
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
Is this land made for you and me?

Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back,
this land was made for you and me.

-- Woody Guthrie
 
The religion of "peace" strikes again. This report just in from ROME - An Italian journalist held for two weeks in Afghanistan said after his release Monday that he saw his captors cut off the head of one of the two Afghans kidnapped with him and thought he would be next to die.

In an interview with RAI Tg3 News, Daniele Mastrogiacomo described a harrowing experience. "I saw him be decapitated," he said.

He said the kidnappers threw the Afghan to his knees and suffocated him in the sand as they cut his head off.

"Then they wiped the knife on his clothes. I was shaking. Obviously I thought 'it's my turn now,'" Mastrogiacomo said.
 
" I don't know if you've heard, the interstate throughway is closed! There's supposed to be a million and a half people here by tonight....HaHaHa... there's alot of freaks!"
 
The religion of "peace" strikes again...

(Wow, they're as violent as the Israelis! And the Christians!)

This report just in from PARIS -- A French journalist held for four weeks in I-raq or some other gottdang raghead nation said after his release Thursday that he saw his captors cut off the head, arms, legs and various other parts of one of the two A-rabs kidnapped with him and thought he would be next to die.

In an interview with the Mainsream Corporate McNews, Pierre de la Fibbe artfully described a horrifying, hideous, hellish and harrowing experience. "I saw him be decapitated and dismembered and boiled in oil!" he sobbed for the cameras.

He said the kidnappers threw the A-rab and to his knees and sadistically played American rock music as they cut his head off.

"Then they wiped the knife on his clothes! Just like in the movies! I was shaking. Obviously I thought it's my turn now,'" de la Fibbe whimpered. "But they let me live so I could tell you all about how evil mean and cruel they are! They're not like us! We only slaughter women and children with bombs from jets and attack helicopters! Well, maybe some of us rape, torture and sodomize the odd Arab too, now and then. But really, we're much more civilized than they are!"
 
I'm really confused. Is Arlo Guthrie Muslim?
 
Oh, I get it. Somebody's confusing him with Cat Stevens.
 
10:21 your killing me!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Website Counter
Free Web Site Counter

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.
Click for www.electoral-vote.com